New appointments in Ukrainian
Greek Catholic Church
the eve of Candlemas we recorded the interview with father Bohdan
Dzyurah (photo 77). The subject of the conversation were future bishop
initiations of father Bohdan, to be held on holiday of Candlemas. The
priest shared his thoughts and feelings before important event of his
conductor Roger MacMerrin (photo 78), the manager of Kyiv Symphony
Choir and Orchestra, told about music heritage of Mendelson, Gendel,
Bach and other famous composers. Mr. Roger is an American, though lives
and works in Kyiv for 10 years already, heading haritative charity
mission of Presbyterian Church.
of power against freedom of conscience: Repressive policy of Soviet
State regarding Christian churches and believers (ideological
considerations, implementation mechanisms, historic
consequences)» - International Scholarly Conference under
name took place on March 3-4 in Kyiv. The conference was organized by
the National University Kyyevo-Mohylyanska Academy and the Ukrainian
Catholic University. In March 2006 60 years passed from the official
liquidation of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church in Halychyna by the
State government by its forced merge with the Russian Orthodox Church.
This occurred at the socalled Lviv Lviv Cathedral in 1946. Later
Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church was destroyed in Zakarpattya with its
structures ruined at the territory of modern Poland and Slovakia. Oleg
Turiy, director of the Institute of the Church History, said about the
conference aim and objectives (photo 80).
that, the main theses of the conference reporters were discussed in the
special issue of Radio Voskresinnia.
This year a regular sitting of the Synod of Kyiv-Halytska Metropolitan
Bishops of UGCC was held. The Synod issued an epistle to the clergy,
monkhood and the laity on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of Lviv
pseudo-cathedral of 1946. Particular emphasis is made on marking the
tragic date - 60th anniversary of Lviv pseudo- cathedral and it was
decided to establish the Honorable Organization Committee to which each
diocese and exarchate should delegate three persons. Members of the
Honorable organization Committee will symbolize all believers who
during the years of UGCC persecution suffered depression and
humiliation, commented the Holiest Lyubomyr Cardinal Huzar, the Head of
the Greek-Catholic Church (photo 79).
«Tragic Pages from UGCC History» is the cycle of
broadcastings dedicated to 60th anniversary of the official liquidation
of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church in Halychyna by the State
government by its forced merge with the Russian.
Orthodox Church. Author's programs by Oleg Turiy, director of the
Institute of the Church History.
«60th anniversary of the Lviv pseudo convocation» -
was the core theme of the panel discussion at the 16th conference named
«History of Religions in Ukraine» took place in
Lviv in May
this year. In numerous reports and short reviews wellknown Ukrainian
scientists disputed on the most discussible questions of this problem:
whether the Church was able to resist to that what happened; how, when
and by whom the preparations to the pseudo convocation were made; what
persons belonged to the «initiation group»; about
paradox fact of the requiem service for the Metropolitan Andrey
Sheptytskyy (Metropolitan of the Church they were destroying), the
reasons of the failure of action destroying UGCC etc. These and other
questions were depicted in the documents and materials collection named
«The Way of the Cross», adjusted by participator of
Voskresinnia Radio station, candidate of history sciences Myhaylo
The block of the radio programs «Tragic Pages of the UGCC
History» of Oleh Turiy and program of the
«Voskresinnya» Radio station with the participation
Blessed Lyubomyr Cardinal Huzar were dedicated to this theme. In the
program fragments of the Letter of the President of
UkraineViktorYushchenko to the hierarchs and believers of the Ukrainian
Greek Catholic Church were quoted.
Religious procession (photo 82-85) In the streets of Lviv was described
by protosyncle of Lviv Archdiocese of UGCC father Orest Fredyna.
programmes also included radio version of the Letter of the Holiest
Father Venedykt XVI (photo 81) to the Holiest Lyubomyr Cardinal Huzar,
Supreme Archbishop Kievo-Halytskyy of UGCC related to pseudo cathedral
1946. This letter sounded in Lviv, in the Cathedral of St. George,
during the Divine Liturgy, held exactly in 60 years after the pseudo
cathedral was held in the same place 60 years ago.
The block of programs «Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church during
German occupation regime 1941 - 1944 in Ukraine» with
participation of Oksana Surmach (photo 86), the author of the same-name
book included stories substantiated with the archives and witnesses
memories on the care the UGCC showed for the orphans, the starving,
captives, refugees, on the speeches of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytskyy
to protect the Jews during the German occupation, for which many UGCC
leaders paid with their freedom, and sometimes even their lives. The
whole book gives a sound scolding to claims about «swastika
soutanes», so to say cooperation of the Ukrainian
Church headed by Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytskyy with German occupants.
Studies research of the institute of Ukrainian Studies named after
I.Krypyakevych were discussed in the interview with Yaroslav Isayevych,
doctor of Historical Sciences, NASU academician (picture 87). Yaroslav
Isayevych is an author of eight monographs, over 600 researches
dedicated to the historic and cultural heritage of Ukraine and
These researches are integrally linked with Christianity and religion
Ukrainian Studies Institute covers multiple disciplines. The running
departments include archeology, history of the Middle Ages, the newest
history of Ukraine, the Ukrainian language, the Ukrainian Literature,
and philosophy. The most ancient epoch is the domain of archeologists.
Doctor of theology and art history Dmytro Stepovyk in his work
«World religions» wrote about the first steps of
Church, its formation and shaping (photo 88).
The Head of sacred Lviv Archdiocesan of Greek Catholic church Art
committee, celibate priest Studium Sevastian Dmytruch in his interview
with priest Oleh Panchyniak press secretary of Lviv Archdiocesan told
about sister studite Mariya Liacher with whom he was personally
acquainted. He put an emphasis upon the childhood and adolescence of
1990 the priests Vasilians came back to Goshiv Monastery and started
renovating the buildings of the Monastery and Church, at the same time
they initiated the numerous pilgrimages to the wonderworking icon.
replica of the icon of Goshiv Virgin Mary (photo 89) that was blessed
by Pope Joan Paul II was reduplicated by priest Juvenaliy Mokrytskyy.
Paroh of the Assumption Cathdral in Hlynyany town of Lviv region priest
Dmytro Maykut told about the history of town and the cathedral, a
unique architectural building.
This year Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church celebrates 250 anniversary of
birth of MetropolitanHalytskyy, LvivArhcbishop, Kamyanets-Podilskyy
bishop Antoniy Anhelovych. Solemnities started on 8 of April with
Divine Liturgy in Lviv archycathedral of St. George, Headed by
Archbishop Ihor Voznyak. In Lviv museum of religion history an
exhibition was opened, dedicated to Metroplotan AntoniyAnhelovych and a
solemn academy was held in Holiest Eucharist Cathedral. On the date of
Antoniy Anhelovych birth, 14th of April, bibliographic exhibition was
opened in the Scientific Library named after Vasyl Stephanyk of the
National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.